When starting out on your fertility journey, the price for IVF will be a key consideration. In fact, understanding the true cost of IVF may play an important part of your decision-making when choosing a clinic. Many patients shop around to find the most competitive prices for IVF. However, when comparing the advertised costs on clinic websites, are you comparing like for like?
Key questions to understand the price for IVF
IVF is a costly investment with an uncertain outcome and it’s vital that you understand the true cost before you commit to treatment. The following questions may help you to find out the true price for IVF at the clinics you are considering:
- What is included in the advertised fee?
- Which services not included in the price am I likely to need and how much do they cost?
- What is the range of medication costs?
- When discussing the possible need of an additional service or investigation, always ask what percentage of women in your own age group or situation require these.
- What can I do to minimise or fix my costs?
All clinics will be open and honest with you about their pricing. It helps to know what questions to ask to make sure you’re well-informed before making a decision.
However, it is only once you’ve had your initial tests and consultation when you will know the price for your specific IVF journey. You don’t have to continue with treatment after the tests and consultation. Instead, the results may help you understand the issues and the costs involved. Then you can either continue with the clinic, discuss the results and costs with another provider, or decide to leave it there if you’re not ready.