Are you TTC, jumping for joy over a BFP or annoyed at your DH during your infertility experience? Welcome to the world of Fertility Forums, filled with abbreviations. We’ve created a handy list to help you understand the chat online.
Sometimes talking to friends and family about infertility is difficult. As a result, more and more people are heading online to infertility support groups.
One thing they all have in common is abbreviations, which can be hard to understand at the start. Some of them originated in America, which can add to the confusion. Before you dip your toes into the online word, learn the lingo.
- TTC – Trying To Conceive
- PCOS – Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Endo – Endometriosis
- MF – Male Factor
- TX – Treatment
- SA – Semen Analysis
- ART – Assisted Reproductive Technology
- IVF – In Vitro Fertilisation
- VEC – Vaginal Egg Collection
- TVOR – Transvaginal Oocyte Retrieval (same things as VEC)
- EC – Egg Collection (same thing as VEC & TVOR)
- ET – Embryo Transfer
- IUI – Intra-uterine Insemination
- FET – Frozen Embryo Transfer
- FERC – Frozen Embryo Replacement (same as FET)
Fertility Forum Specific
- 2WW – 2 Week Wait when (after ET but before a patient can test to see if they are pregnant)
- PUPO – Pregnant Until Proven Otherwise (during the 2WW)
- OTD – Official Test Day
- BFP – Big Fat Positive pregnancy test
- BFN – Big Fat Negative pregnancy test
- DH – Darling/Dear Husband
- DW – Darling/Dear Wife
- DE – Donor Egg
- DS – Donor Sperm
These are just some of the most popular ones you will come across, the forums are filled with abbreviations.
If you are thinking of heading online, you should check them all out and decide which is best for you. It’s also important to remember these are support groups and should not replace advice you have been given by medical professionals.
It’s also worth remembering everyone’s experience is different, so read several posts before making any decisions.